The workstation accessory is often overlooked when remodeling or furnishing a workspace. I’m not talking about pictures of your kids, figurines from your favorite sports team or your stapler. Accessories are tools that assist with ergonomics, wellbeing, space savings, and headache reducers at an individual’s workstation. While there are a multitude of accessories to choose from, here are my top six picks.
- Task Light – Humans are naturally responsive to light. Lighting can help you see what you’re doing. It can create mood or ambiance, and it can provide space division without the use of walls or panels. LED lights, like Safco’s Vamp, provide a low cost, energy-saving solution that enhances your workspace environment.
- Edgeband – Depending on the edge style of your desk, resting your wrist or forearm on this area can be quite painful. Items like Steelcase’s Ergo Edge can provide a comfortable support between you and the worksurface. These items can also come with antibacterial surfaces to help cut down on germs!
- Space "Maximizers" (Laptop Shelf, Monitor Bridge or Arm, etc.): – If the size of our workstation limits our amount of personal space, why do we need to forfeit valuable real estate to computers, phones, monitors, and file drops? Accessories like laptop shelves and monitor arms/bridges offer space savings as well as ergonomic and wellbeing benefits. (Need help deciding on what to get? Check out my blog on how to choose a monitor arm!)
- Pencil Tray – Even I am guilty of shoving random items inside the boxes of my file cabinet. A handy pencil tray or two inside your box/box/file can add space savings and organization for your personal items. Spend less time rummaging around and more time being productive.
- Power Availability – There is nothing worse than crawling on your hands and knees under your desk to find an outlet to plug your phone into…until you have to use the phone under your desk! Having power available on top of your worksurface will literally save you from massive headaches. Check out some of the solutions from ECA to see the possibilities of power!
- Slat wall – The slat wall is a miracle worker. While some may not consider this an accessory, having a slat wall allows you to utilize a multitude of desk organizers, cups and holders, shelving units and more. Depending on the accessories you choose, the slat wall is customizable to your work style.
1. Safco LED Vamp Tasklight
2. Steelcase Soto II Ergo Edge
3. Steelcase Soto II Laptop Shelf
4. HON Pencil Tray
5. ECA Aircharge Wireless Charging Grommet
6. Steelcase Slat Wall